12.07.2005

Random Thoughts

I haven't posted a real blog entry in a while so I figured I break that streak.

Last week I had to say goodbye to my Digital Rebel XT. It was fun while it lasted, but I had to spend major bucks on car maintenance. Canon has a rebate all the way until mid-Jan, so I might purchase it again before that. I don't really have any road trips, hiking or camping trips planned this coming weeks.

I can't help but comment on politics. I read that the Governator, fresh from an ass-whopping by the teachers and nurse unions, had dumped his old chief of staff (also, ex-GOP Gov Pete Wilson's chief of staff) and decided to hire ex-Democrat Gov Gray Davis' chief of staff. I guess he's waving the white flag. The new person is also a lesbian, so the Christian Right is complaining big time. Also, today Rob Reiner, of the "When Harry Met Sally..." and "A Few Good Men" fame declared he's not running against Arnold as a Democrat. Honestly, as bad as Arnold has done since taking office, I don't think there is anyone out there right now with enough name recognition to beat him. So unless Boxer or Feinstein decides to run for governor, Arnold is a shoe-in for another term.

A few days ago, a friend of mine woke me up at 6:30AM to tell me (by text msg) that I should watch the movie "Rent". I then texted her back and asked her if it's good enough to wake me up at 6:30AM and she happily said "Yes!". Of course, right now, she lives in Incestville, Arkansas (j/k) so the time zone difference is to blame. She's also a big musical movie fan. Rottentomatoes.com gave Rent a rotten rating, so I wasn't so sure about shelling out money for it. One movie I've always wanted to see though is George Clooney's directorial debut in "Good Night, And Good Luck". In these times of neo-McCarthyism, where you're expected to salute "Zieg heil" to the President Gasman, I thought it was appropriate.

Anyways, "Good Night, And Good Luck" was really good and deserves the 94% Fresh rating in rottentomatoes.com. I really like how McCarthy was played by Joe McCarthy himself, and I won't be surprised if David Strathairn wins best actor. IMDB says David Strathairn has done a ton of movie, but I only know him as Tom Cruise's brother in The Firm. Another good McCarthy era movie is James Woods' "Citizen Cohn". I found the DVD for that TV movie in the library a few months ago. Anyways, after I saw "Good Night..." I hopped over to see Rent. My car was in maintenance, so I had no where to go. I didn't see all of Rent, as I got a call from the dealer saying my car is done while I was watching it. Also, a friend of mine called and asked if I can babysit her kids. So I left Rent less than half-way through. From what I've seen in Rent, I think it has potential. I like how it's set in the present time. The last three musical movies I've seen are Moulin Rouge, Chicago and The Phantom of the Opera. All of which are set in the past, but it's hard to match those three.

Maybe I'll see Rent in its entirety next week. I plan on watching Syriana and King Kong together, so maybe I'll watch three movies while paying for only one. I used to work in a movie theater, so I know that the $10 you spend on soda and popcorn only costs the theater fifty cents at most. And if I do watch three movies, you can guarantee I'll need a large Diet Coke to keep me awake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home