4.04.2007

More Movies

I recently some movies, two of which sucked bad.

1) Ghost Rider
Probably the worst comic book adaptation since The Punisher and The Hulk(the movie that almost ended Ang Lee's career). This was just Nicolas Cage at his worst. The script was horrible, there was no action scenes at all.

I give Ghost Rider Two Thumbs Down.


2) 300
I can't find anything good about this movie. They tried to sell it like Braveheart, selling the patriotism line, but it fell flat on its face.

Somehow when they made the movie they couldn't figure out how to make more action scene, so they decided to slow things down to eat up screen time. I liked the slow-mo in The Matrix, but mostly because they added the 360-degree rotation, just like the opening scene of Swordfish. But 300 just slow things down, just for the heck of it. It reminds me of old movies and TV shows like 6 Million Dollar Man, and those lame 80's movies that used a lot of slow-mo.

Personally, I like my action movies with "action" in them, like Ong-Bak and those Hong Kong-type action movies. While I watch 300, it kept reminding me of action scenes from other epic-type movies, only slooooower. There were scenes right out of LOTR, Troy, etc. The most obvious one was the jumping stab move that Brad Pitt used in Troy.

I give 300, Three Hundred Thumbs Down.


3) Shooter
This movie is based on Stephen Hunter's book "Point of Impact" which I tried to finish reading before the movie came out, but haven't finished it yet. The movie didn't stick to the book, which is not a surprise. I was hoping the movie would move in a Bourne Identity speed, but there was a lot of slow down on the movie.

I'm a sucker for sniper movies, maybe because when I was a kid, I used to hide up in our neighbor's mango tree with a blowgun with shooting mung beans. Or up on our roof shooting kids and chickens with my slingshot. Somehow I like snipers over sloppy spray shooting from Rambo movies. There's skills and calculations involved in shooting from a mile away, while anyone can spray bullets everywhere (like 8 year old kids in Africa with AK-47's).

I give Shooter One Thumb up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home